Friday, March 24, 2006

The big day is upon us.

We are moving Saturday!

If we can get a truck.

Because you see, first I had too many reservations, and then, when we got it straightened out, all of a sudden I had no reservations.

It is all the truck rental place's fault.

Why, oh why, is it so difficult to rent a truck when you want to move? This is even worse than when we moved up here.

What happened is that I called to verify my reservation with the local truck rental company, and they said there was no record of my having one. So I made another one, rejoicing that I'd thought to call them.

Then, they called me back and told me they'd found the original reservation. So, now I had two, but they were going to be generous and let me cancel one without charging me the $50 cancellation fee. Only they somehow cancelled both reservations. (I knew something was seriously wrong when the guy on the other end of the phone said, "Oh, crap.") Evidently in that short amount of time both trucks had been reserved? I guess? I don't know exactly, just that they couldn't just restore either of the reservations and get me a truck.

They have promised to work to find me another truck. I am waiting to hear from them and trying not to hyperventilate.

Luckily we're moving only a few blocks away from this place. I suppose, if worse came to worse, we could just form a human chain and carry everything by hand. Of course, we might lose all our friends ...

But the paint job looks fantastic! We wound up only doing the living room and the kids' rooms for now. We just didn't have time to do everything, so we concentrated on the rooms in the worst condition. (And Michael's room, because once he's moved in we'll never see the floor again, much less the walls.) We'll do the rest later on.

I'll be offline until next week sometime. Have a great weekend all! If you see this before Saturday morning, keep your fingers crossed for us to get a truck. Because if we don't, I really don't know what we'll do.

No comments: